We’re continually updating our information on what our local breweries, cider makers and pubs are doing during this period. If you know what services a brewery, cider maker or pub in the Cambridge area is offering, please email us or let us know via WhatPub.
CAMRA has also joined forces with the Society of Independent Brewers (SIBA) to run the Pulling Together campaign. This is a campaign to help the pubs, clubs, breweries and cider makers that have been (and continue to be) massively affected by the coronavirus lockdowns and restrictions.
The Cambridge & District branch of the Campaign for Real Ale – better known as CAMRA – is one of over 100 branches around the UK. Members of CAMRA are all members of a branch – normally the branch where they live.
The branch’s most visible activity is the Cambridge Beer Festival. First held in 1974, it was the first ever CAMRA beer festival to be held. These days it is one of the largest beer festivals in the country, organised and run entirely by volunteers.
The beer festival is not all the branch does however. Our main campaigning focus is pub protection – pubs are closing around the country at an alarming rate, and the Cambridge area is far from immune from this trend. The pressure on housing in the area means that it’s all too easy for pub companies to make a quick bit of cash by selling pubs on for redevelopment. Read more about our campaigning activity.
The branch area covers the south eastern corner of Cambridgeshire, centred around the city of Cambridge.
Everything the branch does is done by volunteers, and there are many ways you can get involved.
- Cambridge CAMRA in March & April 2 March 2021 - We hope that you are all keeping well and that you’ve managed to track down some tasty beers and ciders.[...]
- Pubs Matter 28 February 2021 - Over the next few days CAMRA nationwide will be taking part in the #PubsMatter campaign, ahead of the budget.
- Cambridge CAMRA in February & March 15 February 2021 - Good Beer Guide Many thanks to everyone who nominated the pubs that they thought should be considered for inclusion in[...]
- Cambridge CAMRA in January 24 December 2020 - Pubs in Tiers Following November’s lockdown, the Government decided that all of our branch area will be in the Tier[...]
- Cambridge CAMRA in November 10 November 2020 - New lockdown With Covid-19 cases rising the Government has decided that England needs to go into another lockdown. The new[...]
- Return to the Pubs (episode II) 22 October 2020 - The Waterman and beyond Finding myself once again in the Haymakers, my friend and I decided to go for a[...]
- Return of the Pubs (episode I) 14 October 2020 - Opening weekend – impending doom? A journey north of the river After over a hundred days of being shut, the[...]
- Around the branch in October 12 October 2020 - We have recently seen the Government’s Covid-19 restrictions on pubs adjusted in response to national and regional rises in infection[...]
- Around the branch in September 21 September 2020 - Over the past month many pubs took part in the government’s “Eat Out to Help Out” scheme. I hope that[...]
- Around the branch in August 7 August 2020 - During the Covid-19 shutdown we heard many stories of licensees, cidermakers, brewers and volunteers who did amazing things for their[...]