The Cambridge & District branch of the Campaign for Real Ale – better known as CAMRA – is one of over 100 branches around the UK. Members of CAMRA are all members of a branch – normally the branch where they live.
The branch’s most visible activity is the Cambridge Beer Festival. First held in 1974, it was the first ever CAMRA beer festival to be held. These days it is one of the largest beer festivals in the country, organised and run entirely by volunteers.
The beer festival is not all the branch does however. Our main campaigning focus is pub protection – pubs are closing around the country at an alarming rate, and the Cambridge area is far from immune from this trend. The pressure on housing in the area means that it’s all too easy for pub companies to make a quick bit of cash by selling pubs on for redevelopment. Read more about our campaigning activity.
The branch area covers the south eastern corner of Cambridgeshire, centred around the city of Cambridge.
- Award winners 2018 24 April 2018 - Every year the branch gives awards to pubs and people in the branch area.
- Minutes/Admin Secretary – Beer Styles Group 14 April 2018 - A new group, set up to review CAMRA’s beer styles, needs a Minutes/Admin Secretary to arrange meetings and take minutes[...]
- Carpenter’s Arms, Victoria Avenue reopens 5 April 2018 - Having been closed for several weeks while a rear extension was built and the interior was remodelled, the Carpenter’s Arms[...]
- Heritage Pubs in East Anglia 18 March 2018 - CAMRA’s Heritage Pubs Group is producing a a series of online regional guides. The latest one covers East Anglia and[...]
- March news 8 March 2018 - We thought we’d let you know about a few things happening in and around our branch area over the next[...]
- The 22nd Cambridge Winter Ale Festival 26 January 2018 - Almost 3,000 visitors, over 6,000 pints of real ale plus copious amounts of cider and foreign beer and all was over by 8:00pm on Saturday night.
- Wheatsheaf, Quy – Under New Management 25 January 2018 - The Wheatsheaf at Stow-Cum-Quy is under new management.
- Cambridge TV piece on pubs. 22 December 2017 - Cambridge TV have produced a twelve and a half minute piece on pubs that will be broadcast on That’s TV[...]
- Carpenter’s Arms, Victoria Road reopens 8 December 2017 - The Carpenter's Arms on Victoria Road reopens at 5pm today
- Good Beer Guide Voting Open 2 December 2017 - It's time to vote on the shortlisted pubs to decide which go in to the 2019 Good Beer Guide