The Cambridge & District branch of the Campaign for Real Ale – better known as CAMRA – is one of over 100 branches around the UK. Members of CAMRA are all members of a branch – normally the branch where they live.
The branch’s most visible activity is the Cambridge Beer Festival. First held in 1974, it was the first ever CAMRA beer festival to be held. These days it is one of the largest beer festivals in the country, organised and run entirely by volunteers.
The beer festival is not all the branch does however. Our main campaigning focus is pub protection – pubs are closing around the country at an alarming rate, and the Cambridge area is far from immune from this trend. The pressure on housing in the area means that it’s all too easy for pub companies to make a quick bit of cash by selling pubs on for redevelopment. Read more about our campaigning activity.
The branch area covers the south eastern corner of Cambridgeshire, centred around the city of Cambridge.
Everything the branch does is done by volunteers, and there are many ways you can get involved.
- Cambridge CAMRA in June 26 May 2022 - The Tivoli reopens Having been closed for seven years following a fire, the Tivoli on Mitcham’s Corner will fully reopen[...]
- Cambridge CAMRA in May 27 April 2022 - Summer of Pub Although summer 2022 in Cambridge won’t start with our festival on Jesus Green, summer will still happen.[...]
- Pub awards 2022 10 April 2022 - This year our pub of the year awards have returned to the usual schedule. In a slight change we selected[...]
- Cambridge CAMRA in April 4 April 2022 - Congratulations! Congratulations to the Hare & Hounds in Harlton on being selected as our 2022 Cider Pub of the Year.[...]
- Ale magazine returns 7 March 2022 - After a two year hiatus due to COVID-19 Ale magazine returns. It’ll be appearing in pubs soon, but if you[...]
- Cambridge CAMRA in March 1 March 2022 - Cambridge Beer Festival Apologies for starting this email with bad news, but sadly we have had to cancel Cambridge Beer[...]
- Cambridge Beer Festival 2022 cancelled 24 February 2022 - With a heavy heart we must cancel this year’s Cambridge Beer Festival on Jesus Green. Despite massive efforts from our[...]
- Cambridge CAMRA AGM postponed. Beer Festival update. 17 February 2022 - This is just a short mid-month email to inform you about a delay to our AGM and to give you[...]
- Cambridge CAMRA in February 3 February 2022 - Branch socials 2022’s branch socials commence on Thursday (27 January) when we’ll hold a Thursday Social at the Castle Inn,[...]
- Cambridge CAMRA in January 10 January 2022 - Branch socials and AGM Sadly, due to concerns over the omicron variant of Covid-19, we decided to cancel our December[...]