The Cambridge & District branch of the Campaign for Real Ale – better known as CAMRA – is one of over 100 branches around the UK. Members of CAMRA are all members of a branch – normally the branch where they live.
The branch’s most visible activity is the Cambridge Beer Festival. First held in 1974, it was the first ever CAMRA beer festival to be held. These days it is one of the largest beer festivals in the country, still organised and run entirely by volunteers. After an enforced break due to the pandemic and the tail of disruption, the festival successfully returned in 2023, running from 22–27 May on Jesus Green. We’ll be back on Jesus Green from 20–25 May 2024.
The beer festival is not all the branch does however. Our main campaigning focus is pub protection – pubs are closing around the country at an alarming rate, and the Cambridge area is far from immune from this trend. The pressure on housing in the area means that it’s all too easy for pub companies to make a quick bit of cash by selling pubs on for redevelopment. Read more about our campaigning activity.
The branch area covers the south eastern corner of Cambridgeshire, centred around the city of Cambridge.
Everything the branch does is done by volunteers, and there are many ways you can get involved.
- Pub news round up 30 December 2023 - Pub news from around the branch.
- Ale 406 in pubs soon 28 November 2023 - The December 2023 edition of Ale magazine will be in pubs from the second week of December. You can also[...]
- Pub news round up 24 November 2023 - Pub news from around the branch.
- Pub news round up 27 October 2023 - Pub news from around the branch
- Ale 405 in pubs soon 6 October 2023 - The October 2023 edition of Ale magazine will be in pubs soon
- Pub news round up 29 September 2023 - Pub news from around the branch
- Pub news round up 25 August 2023 - Pub news from around the branch
- Ale 404 in the pubs soon 3 August 2023 - The latest edition of Ale magazine will be in pubs soon.
- Pub news round up 28 July 2023 - Pub news from around the branch
- Pub news round up 30 June 2023 - Pub news from around the branch