We’re continually updating our information on what our local breweries, cider makers and pubs are doing during this period. CAMRA has also joined forces with the Society of Independent Brewers (SIBA) to run the Pulling Together campaign. This is a campaign to help the pubs, clubs, breweries and cider makers that have been (and continue to be) massively affected by the coronavirus lockdown.
The Cambridge & District branch of the Campaign for Real Ale – better known as CAMRA – is one of over 100 branches around the UK. Members of CAMRA are all members of a branch – normally the branch where they live.
The branch’s most visible activity is the Cambridge Beer Festival. First held in 1974, it was the first ever CAMRA beer festival to be held. These days it is one of the largest beer festivals in the country, organised and run entirely by volunteers.
The beer festival is not all the branch does however. Our main campaigning focus is pub protection – pubs are closing around the country at an alarming rate, and the Cambridge area is far from immune from this trend. The pressure on housing in the area means that it’s all too easy for pub companies to make a quick bit of cash by selling pubs on for redevelopment. Read more about our campaigning activity.
The branch area covers the south eastern corner of Cambridgeshire, centred around the city of Cambridge.
Everything the branch does is done by volunteers, and there are many ways you can get involved.
- Around the branch in August 7 August 2020 - During the Covid-19 shutdown we heard many stories of licensees, cidermakers, brewers and volunteers who did amazing things for their[...]
- Around the branch in July 3 July 2020 - The fifteen week shutdown of our pubs is due to come to an end on Saturday 4 July. This does[...]
- Around the branch in June 4 June 2020 - It’s now ten weeks since pubs were told to shut to help combat the Covid-19 pandemic but now there’s a[...]
- Around the branch in May 1 May 2020 - It’s now six weeks since pubs were told to shut to help combat the Covid-19 pandemic and, despite the wisdom[...]
- Cambridge CAMRA in the coronavirus shutdown 12 April 2020 - It may be only ten days since our last email but we’ve been thinking about what more we can do[...]
- Around the branch in April 1 April 2020 - This isn’t the email I expected to be sending when I first started drafting it over a month ago. The[...]
- Cancellation of Events 17 March 2020 - Acting on advice from HM Government, and CAMRA HQ, all our events and branch meetings have been cancelled until the[...]
- Around the branch in March 3 March 2020 - Here’s news of some of what’s happening in and around our branch area over the next few weeks. Monthly Meetings.[...]
- Around the branch in February 30 January 2020 - Here’s news of some of what’s happening in and around our branch area over the next few weeks. Monthly Meetings.[...]
- Around the branch in January 28 December 2019 - Season’s greetings everyone. Here’s news of some of what’s happening in and around our branch area over the next few[...]