The Cambridge & District branch of the Campaign for Real Ale – better known as CAMRA – is one of over 100 branches around the UK. Members of CAMRA are all members of a branch – normally the branch where they live.
The branch’s most visible activity is the Cambridge Beer Festival. First held in 1974, it was the first ever CAMRA beer festival to be held. These days it is one of the largest beer festivals in the country, organised and run entirely by volunteers.
The beer festival is not all the branch does however. Our main campaigning focus is pub protection – pubs are closing around the country at an alarming rate, and the Cambridge area is far from immune from this trend. The pressure on housing in the area means that it’s all too easy for pub companies to make a quick bit of cash by selling pubs on for redevelopment. Read more about our campaigning activity.
The branch area covers the south eastern corner of Cambridgeshire, centred around the city of Cambridge.
- Around the Branch in November 1 November 2018 - Here’s news of some of what’s happening in and around our branch area over the next few weeks. Wylde Sky[...]
- A Saturday Stroll 14 October 2018 - We met yesterday (13th October) for a ‘Strolling Social’, organised by our pubs officer, Ali Cook. This one was loosely[...]
- What’s happening in October 6 October 2018 - Here’s news of some of what’s happening in and around our branch area over the next few weeks.
- Cambridge CAMRA in September 31 August 2018 - Here’s news of some of what’s happening in and around our branch area over the next few weeks.
- What’s happening in August? 29 July 2018 - Here’s news of some of what’s happening in and around our branch area over the next few weeks. Monthly meetings[...]
- May news 3 May 2018 - News and events from round the branch
- Cider Month – May 2018 28 April 2018 - May is CAMRA's Cider Month
- Award winners 2018 24 April 2018 - Every year the branch gives awards to pubs and people in the branch area.
- Minutes/Admin Secretary – Beer Styles Group 14 April 2018 - A new group, set up to review CAMRA’s beer styles, needs a Minutes/Admin Secretary to arrange meetings and take minutes[...]
- Carpenter’s Arms, Victoria Avenue reopens 5 April 2018 - Having been closed for several weeks while a rear extension was built and the interior was remodelled, the Carpenter’s Arms[...]