The Cambridge & District branch of the Campaign for Real Ale – better known as CAMRA – is one of over 100 branches around the UK. Members of CAMRA are all members of a branch – normally the branch where they live.
The branch’s most visible activity is the Cambridge Beer Festival. First held in 1974, it was the first ever CAMRA beer festival to be held. These days it is one of the largest beer festivals in the country, organised and run entirely by volunteers.
The beer festival is not all the branch does however. Our main campaigning focus is pub protection – pubs are closing around the country at an alarming rate, and the Cambridge area is far from immune from this trend. The pressure on housing in the area means that it’s all too easy for pub companies to make a quick bit of cash by selling pubs on for redevelopment. Read more about our campaigning activity.
The branch area covers the south eastern corner of Cambridgeshire, centred around the city of Cambridge.
Everything the branch does is done by volunteers, and there are many ways you can get involved.
- Ale magazine issue 399 in the pubs soon 10 August 2022 - The 399th issue of Ale magazine will be in the pubs soon, with news from around the branch and the[...]
- Cambridge CAMRA in August 29 July 2022 - A round up of news and events in and around the branch.
- Cambridge CAMRA in July 4 July 2022 - A round up of news and upcoming events in and around the branch.
- New owners on the way at Rose and Crown, Impington 14 June 2022 - A new team are shortly to take over at the Rose and Crown.
- County Pub of the Year: the Queen Edith 2 June 2022 - Congratulations to the Queen Edith on being judged the Pub of the Year for Cambridgeshire.
- Ale magazine in the pubs soon 1 June 2022 - The new edition of Ale magazine (issue 398) will be in pubs soon. If you want to read it right[...]
- Cambridge CAMRA in June 26 May 2022 - The Tivoli reopens Having been closed for seven years following a fire, the Tivoli on Mitcham’s Corner will fully reopen[...]
- Cambridge CAMRA in May 27 April 2022 - Summer of Pub Although summer 2022 in Cambridge won’t start with our festival on Jesus Green, summer will still happen.[...]
- Pub awards 2022 10 April 2022 - This year our pub of the year awards have returned to the usual schedule. In a slight change we selected[...]
- Cambridge CAMRA in April 4 April 2022 - Congratulations! Congratulations to the Hare & Hounds in Harlton on being selected as our 2022 Cider Pub of the Year.[...]