After the success of the Beef and Ale Pie recipe
printed in ALE 358 I felt I just had to return the
The Maypole in Park Street to try the celebrated Umbel pie. I wasn't to be disappointed: succulent
chicken breast and savoury leek, with an Umbel Ale gravy, yum!
The good news is that the Maypole has recently increased its number of real ale pumps from 8 to
16 - giving chef Nathan Phelps plenty of opportunity to dream up new recipes.
My thanks to him for sharing this one
UMBEL PIE RECIPE (Makes 6-8)
Ingredients for the filling
- 1 pint of UMBEL ALE from Nethergate brewery.
- 1 kg of diced chicken breast
- 1 kg of diced leeks
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme and fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Worcester sauce
- Olive oil
- 2 Oxo chicken stock cubes.
- Marinate the chicken with a generous splash
of olive oil and Worcester sauce along with the
fresh herbs and crumbled stock cubes for 1 hour.
- In a large pan add all chicken, the marinade
and the leeks on a high heat and stir for five to
- Add ALL the UMBEL ALE and bring to the boil and simmer.
- Make up 1 pint of very very thick chicken
gravy from granules add to the pot and cook for
1-2 hours making sure every piece of chicken is
cooked thoroughly and very tender.
- Drain all the contents into a large colander
and use the liquid as gravy.
- Roll out puff or short crust pastry (I prefer
jusroll puff pastry) into 0.5 centimetre thick
sheets and cut into 15x15cm squares.
- Place a healthy amount of the chilled filling
into the middle of each squareand fold the four
corners up so they overlap to form a sealed
- Brush liberally with egg wash and bake in a
pre-heated oven at gas mark 6 or 190 degrees
centigrade or 400 degrees Fahrenheit. For 15-20
minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Serve with a pint or three of UMBEL ALE